Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioning Installation & Repair
A ductless mini split air conditioner packs the power of HVAC in small units installed throughout your home or business.
To call it an “air conditioner” sells it short; it doubles as a furnace when the weather turns cold. Ductless AC is fully-fledged HVAC minus the bulky and expensive ductwork while offering the advantages of quiet operation, energy efficiency, and zoned heating and cooling.
Orange Coast Plumbing installs, maintains, and repairs all makes and models of ductless mini split air conditioners. Call us for a free estimate!
What Is Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning?
Ductless air conditioning is a heating and cooling system with an outdoor compressor connected to one or more indoor units. Unlike HVAC, a ductless system doesn’t require cumbersome ductwork, making it ideal for smaller homes or areas where ductwork would be difficult or costly to install.
Ductless air conditioning components include:
- An outdoor compressor and condenser coil
- An indoor air handling unit (or several)
- Insulated tubing connecting handling units to the compressor
Refrigerant is pumped through the tubing to transfer heat from indoors to out.
The indoor unit is mounted on a wall or ceiling and controlled remotely.
A single handler will comfortably cool the rooms in a standard two or three-bedroom home. Two to four handlers will cool larger and multi-level homes.
Benefits of Ductless Air Conditioning
- No ductwork: A ductless mini split is a practical choice for homes without existing ducts or separate areas like the garage or guest houses.
- Zoned heating and cooling: A ductless mini split lets you control temperatures room by room, providing more targeted heating and cooling.
- Compact size: A mini split is well-suited for smaller spaces like additions, sunrooms, or small apartments, where central air conditioning or HVAC may not be feasible.
- Energy efficiency: Mini splits use less energy than central air conditioning systems, especially in smaller spaces.
- Quiet operation: The outdoor compressor and condenser can’t be heard inside your home.
- Easy installation: Ductless systems are much simpler to install than new HVAC systems. In most cases, a single technician can handle the installation in just a few hours.
- Affordable repair: Ductless AC repairs are usually cheaper than other air conditioners since fewer parts need to be serviced or replaced.
- Environmentally friendly: Ductless mini splits use a more environmentally friendly refrigerant than other air conditioning systems.
Ductless Air Conditioning vs. Through-the Wall AC
Ductless air conditioning and through-the-wall AC are similar in some ways, but they have several distinct differences.
- Structure: Ductless air conditioning has an outdoor compressor unit and one or more indoor air handling units, whereas through-the-wall air conditioning is a single unit that houses the compressor, fan, coils, and all other components.
- Noise level: Ductless air conditioning is much quieter since the noisy compressor is located outside, while through-the-wall air conditioning has a compressor inside the unit.
- Coverage: Ductless air conditioning can cool several rooms depending on the number of handlers installed, while through-the-wall air conditioning can cool only a limited area.
- Heating and cooling: Ductless air conditioning has a built-in heater, while through-the-wall air conditioning can only provide cooling. With through-the-wall air conditioning, you’ll need a separate heating system to keep your home warm.
Sounds Great, But What Are the Drawbacks?
- Unit cost: The initial expense of ductless air conditioning can be high due to the need to purchase and install multiple units.
- Installation cost: Unlike window units, which the homeowner can install, ductless systems must be installed by a professional or a highly skilled DIYer.
- Replacement cost: If one of the indoor units fails, you may have to replace the entire system. In contrast, with traditional HVAC systems, you can replace a broken component without affecting the rest of the system.
- Mold growth: Mold is a common problem with poorly maintained ductless systems. Because the system is sealed, it can be challenging to detect and prevent mold growth.
- Total coverage: For large spaces, HVAC is a better choice.
Orange Coast Plumbing’s Ductless AC Installation Service
We offer complete installation services, and our certified AC technicians will walk you through the process from start to finish.
- We’ll help you select the right ductless AC system for your home or business. All consultations are free.
- Our licensed and certified HVAC technicians will install your ductless AC system quickly and efficiently.
- We’ll follow up to confirm everything is working correctly and answer any questions about your new system.
- We offer maintenance plans to keep your mini split ductless in air conditioning in peak condition.
Frequently Asked Questions about Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning
How many handlers can I attach to a ductless air conditioning compressor?
One ductless air conditioning compressor typically supports up to four indoor air handling units.
Do I need a handler in every room?
No, the number of handlers you need depends on the size of the rooms, the size of the home, the desired level of cooling or heating, and other factors.
How long do ductless mini split systems last?
Ductless mini split air conditioning systems typically last 15 to 20 years with proper maintenance. The exact lifespan depends on the quality of the equipment, the quality of your installation, the frequency of use, and your maintenance schedule. Some systems last up to 30 years.
Do mini split systems need maintenance?
Yes, ductless AC systems need regular maintenance, just like any air conditioning system. It should include cleaning the filters, inspecting for leaks, checking the refrigerant levels, and other tasks the manufacturer recommends.
Are mini split systems noisy?
Mini split systems are the quietest air conditioners on the market. They have an average noise level of 32 decibels, equivalent to whispering from five feet away. To put that into perspective, window units and central air conditioners have an average noise level of 50-72 decibels. Since a mini split compressor is located outside, you won’t hear it inside your home.
This makes mini split systems ideal for bedrooms and other areas where you want to avoid excess noise. They also come with sound-damping insulation that further reduces noise.
Can you get carbon monoxide poisoning from a ductless system?
No, ductless mini split systems never use oil or gas. Leaks are the only potential hazard, and they’re easy to prevent if you keep your system well-maintained.
Can mini split systems develop mold problems?
Yes, like any other air conditioning system, mini splits can develop mold problems if not properly maintained. The most common cause of mold growth is a buildup of moisture from condensation. Regular maintenance and cleaning can prevent mold growth.
Do mini split systems improve indoor air quality?
Yes, mini split systems can improve indoor air quality. The air filters and purifiers built into them trap dust, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens.
A certified HVAC technician can further install additional air filters to reduce indoor pollution.
What should I do if my ductless mini split AC isn't cooling efficiently?
Check for signs of failure, like an error code on the display panel. If there’s a problem, call a technician who can inspect your system and diagnose the issue.
Can a mini split system replace central air conditioning?
Yes, it’s possible to replace your central air conditioning with a ductless mini split. The installation process may be more complicated than installing a single AC unit with existing ductwork because you’ll have to mount multiple indoor handlers and connect them to the system.
Does a mini split system work in all climates?
No, ductless mini split air conditioning systems are designed for moderate to warm temperatures, like those of Orange County, CA. In frigid climates, the system may not be able to heat a room adequately.
Can mini split ductless air conditioning help me save money?
Yes, ductless air conditioning systems are very energy efficient, plus the multi-zone capability ensures that you’re only cooling rooms as needed. Since these systems require less maintenance than other types of HVAC, you can also save on repair costs over the long term.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call us today.
We’re at Your Service!
Orange Coast Plumbing has many years of experience installing, repairing, and maintaining ductless mini split AC systems.
Our services are available 24/7 because we understand that your AC may stop working at any time, especially during a heat wave.
Please call us if you’d like to have us come to your home or office for a free estimate or work. We serve all of Orange County, CA, plus many cities nearby.
Call us now to schedule the ductless mini AC split services in Orange County, CA and surrounding areas!